Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spring


From time to time I will be sharing some of the writings of my beloved Gram, Martha Dordigan, February 2, 1923 - August 13, 1996. Breast cancer took her much too early. She was beautiful and intelligent, creative and talented with great fashion sense. She endured many a heartache. She gave me the best first eight years of my life...something she was ironically unable to do for her own daughter, my mother. After her death I found a folder full of things she had written, some which broke my heart and made me realize there was so much more to her that I never knew. I do not believe I would be the person I am today had it not been for her.

I think of her all the time, but especially in the Spring as it was her favorite time of year. Her favorite color was yellow - she loved hummingbirds and listening to the chatter of squirrels in the trees outside her window. She taught me to notice and appreciate the beauty of nature.

I miss you Gram...

If you listen carefully,
you'll hear it whisper by -
A sweet and breathless sound,
like a soft contented sigh.
You'll hear it in the wind
as it rustles through the trees,
And the gentle, background humming
of the busy honeybees.
You'll hear it in the murmer
of a swiftly flowing stream
And the hush of peaceful evenings
like some half remembered dream.
You'll hear it everywhere,
for it's the wonderous, happy sound
of springtime just arriving
bringing new life all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment