Saturday, August 7, 2010

Accidental Alfredo


The name of this simple, kid-friendly dish is fitting because it's true. This quick dinner, which took approximately 15 minutes total time from stovetop to table...and not much longer from table to tummies, was one of those things that just sort of happened.

As a harried mom with two young girls at home - one of whom has a very fickle palate the moment - my dinner choices for this day were limited. It was either going to be grilled chicken, tater-tots and applesauce or the ever popular pasta w/garlic butter & cheese. Pasta won.

The tri-colored shells were brought back from Italy by my husband on his last detachment with the Navy (along with some good wine & olive oil) and needed to be used. As I sauteed a bit of garlic w/butter I thought about how I could jazz it up a little but not so much that no one would eat it. Here's what I came up with...

As always, I hope you'll give it a whirl and love it too!

INGREDIENTS

1 lb./box tri-colored shells (any fun shape will do!)
3 tbsp. butter
1 clove garlic chopped
1/3 cup lowfat half and half
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesean cheese
couple cracks of black pepper
sprinkle of kosher/sea salt

METHOD

Bring big pot of salted water to rolling boil
Add pasta, give a stir and let boil for 8 or 9 min.
Drain pasta (sometimes I rinse, sometimes I don't)
In sauce pan (or same pot you cooked pasta in) saute garlic w/butter
Add half and half and let simmer for a minute
Add pasta and parmesean cheese, salt & pepper
Stir over low heat until well incorporated

I served family style and topped with some fresh grated Parmesean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment